Who Should Consider Prenatal Testing?
There are certain guidelines regarding who might from genetic counseling and prenatal testing. Consider the following qualifications:
- Women who will be 35 or older on their due date
- Couples who have a child or other close relative with a birth defect
- Pregnant women with abnormal results from a screening test designed to estimate the risk of certain birth defect
- Pregnant women who have other concerns about the health of the fetus
- Couples with one or both partners who carry an inherited disease such as Tay-Sachs, sickle cell anemia or cystic fibrosis.
- Pregnant women who have been exposed to agents, such as medications, that may be harmful to the fetus
- Women who have undergone an ultrasound test that has found abnormalities in the fetus