Doing Your Part In Ensuring A Healthy Delivery
When it comes to ensuring a healthy pregnancy, you shouldn’t leave it all in the hands of your ob/gyne. There are several things you can do on your part to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- If you smoke, quit. If you need help quitting, talk with your doctor.
- Avoid secondhand smoke.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Take folic acid. Most women need 400 to 800 micrograms (mcg) of folate every day.
- If you have a medical condition, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, take steps to keep it under control. Your doctor can help you manage your condition.
- Talk with your doctor about all the medicines you’re currently taking. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines as well as herbal supplements.
- Avoid contact with toxic substances, including chemicals and cat or rodent feces.